06 March 2017

first visit to the whitney



Confession! We'd never been to the Whitney before 2017. Somehow, we'd just never gone in...probably because it's not pay what you wish and packing into museums on free nights has kind of lost its charm. But when we got a membership to it for Christmas from Matt's parents (thank you!!) we finally took the opportunity. Since we visited less than a month before the Biennal, a lot of the museum was closed off in preparation. In a way, that was a good thing though - we couldn't get overwhelmed by floor after floor of amazing artwork. What we did see was great, though, and I'm already looking forward to going back!













This was in the portraits exhibit, and I thought it was particularly relevant to today, even though it was painted in the early 80s. Of course, I didn't write down the artist, but I guess one of the perks of membership is that I can go back and look again!









...I love this photograph! It's perfect.







After our visit, we wandered around the west village before finding our way home (and it was kind of literally finding a way, because the trains were all running on different tracks and not stopping at a bunch of stations...it was a mess!).







When I was taking this photo, a guy walking by stopped for a second and said, "It's a great day for puddle shots!!" and I realized that it was a great day for puddle shots! Which isn't something I'd ever really thought about before.





No comments:

Post a Comment